Tax Deduction Checklists

Tax Preparation Checklist for Individuals

As Certified Public Accountants we are ethically bound to help you pay the lowest tax you are legally required to pay. This list will help us do our job. It is a concise, though not exhaustive, outline of some of the documents we will need when we meet with you.

  • A copy of last year's Federal and State tax returns.
  • All statements of income, such as:
    • W-2's
    • Interest and Dividend statements (Form 1099)
    • Pension income amounts including Social Security
    • Individual Retirement Account contributions or withdrawals
    • Unemployment income statements
    • Trust, "S" corporation, and/or Partnership income amounts (Form K-1)
  • Amounts of mortgage interest and points paid (Form 1098), real estate and auto excise taxes paid, charitable donations (both cash and non-cash), and "out-of-pocket" medical expenses
  • Records of child care expenses including amounts and payee
  • Amounts of any estimated tax payments
  • Details of any capital gains transactions
  • If you own rental property or a small business, we will need to see the records pertaining to the property or business

Be sure to consult a tax professional

if you think any of the matters discussed in our world wide web page concern you or your business: this is not intended to be the complete story. Also, be sure your tax advisor is one of your area's many qualified Certified Public Accountants or Enrolled Agents. Last year only 3% of the tax preparer penalties assessed by the Internal Revenue Service was given to C.P.A.'s or E.A.'s, the balance, 97%, was assessed on so-called independent "tax preparers." Be smart, entrust this very important job to a qualified professional.

Actors, Musicians, Visual Artists & Writers visit: www.artstaxinfo.com